Decisions, decisions...

12 years 9 months ago #1644 by Assessor
I once left dental nursing to become an NVQ assessor I was on almost £11.ph with travel expences on top so it made my pay almost £13 ph plus. Then after redundanciy I went back into Dental nursing to alovely practice it had only been open 3 months so was brand new its owned by a lovely dentist who is forward thinking inspiarational etc. I took a a pay cut to £8.10 ph but have had 3 pay rises since being there which is almost 3 yrs and Im about to ask him for another one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #1643 by HRussell
Hi there,

If you are getting stressed the best advice is reduce the stress.

I have been in similar situations and the stress just isn't worth it. It will eat you up eventually and make you feel even worse.

If this was me I'd go for the other job knowing that it was closer to home and the stress wouldn't be there.

I know money is a big factor but so is your health.

Hope you feel less stressed soon :)

12 years 9 months ago #1642 by ksist
Hey all, I know I need to make this decision for myself but any advice would be appreciated. 

Basically, I currently work as a registered dental nurse with 5 years experience at £7.90 per hour. I have a love hate relationship with the place. Some days I love it, some days I don't. It's mainly because of how the place is run and the people that work here. Some days the place makes me feel so low and down but I think that's because I involve myself in it too much. 

I have been offered a job closer to home for 7.50 an hour with what appears to be a really encouraging and pro active practice. They offer a lot of CPD training and is part of a medical team.

If I was to accept the new job I'd obviously be taking a cut, yes only 40p but it all adds up. Taking in to account less travel expense etc I'd basically be taking home the same as I do now. However, where I work now we always get a payrise in April and if we complete courses such as radiography we also get higher pay, often 50p more. The place where I've been offered a job aren't as generous with payrises and that puts me off slightly as I'm a firm believer in fair pay and appreciation for what we do. 

One reason that's keeping me where I am now is the pay. I wouldn't really miss anyone or the way it's run. When it's run right it's good but it's not consistent. 

I am really indecisive on what to do. The travelling is getting me down and taking the new job would reduce this stress however I can't help but think about the pay and that's what is making me think to stay where I am and put up with the minor problems. 

Am I being too greedy by staying just for the pay and not accepting a lower rate of pay?

I'm just really confused and don't want to make the wrong decision.

I know I may sound really pathetic but its really stressing me out. 

I know only I can make the decision but any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New