Dentist and Dental Nurse personal relationships

13 years 5 months ago #1115 by fifi
I got the latest DNN newsletter through and the first article surprised me!

"The GDC has suspended a dental nurse for two months after she sold the story of a nine year affair with her dentist to a magazine.

Sexual relations were carried out between a nurse and her dentist in the practice.

The dentist received a four month ban due to inproper conduct in the work place.

The affair ended after the nurse had taken the dentist to an employment tribunal.

The GDC ruled that the act was "profoundly unacceptable" and brought the profession into disrepute."

Now I can quite understand that if they had been carrying out "sexual relations" IN the practice then that is definately unacceptable. It's totally unprofessional and I agree with the GDC in what they said.

So what about the relationship as a whole?

I have worked in practices where the dentists and nurses have struck up relationships (not always of the long term type) and in my experience the manager hasn't rota'd them to work together due to it being viewed as unprofessional (!)

I haven't myself been in this situation, but its something I've always wondered whether is particularly ethical. I know we're all human beings, but every dentist (nearly every) I have worked with I've looked up to and admired, I've never and could never imagine striking up a relationship with one as in my mind I always feel like being professional comes first. And that involves not flirting wildly with my colleagues.

Just wondering if anyone else had any experience/thoughts?

I have worked with husband/wife couples who are dentists/dental nurses and in my experience - that was always uncomfortable (they were always arguing)

Look forward to some replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New