private or nhs-practice or hospital??

13 years 5 months ago #1072 by Toots
The practice I work for offers training opportunities to all members of staff. However, if the practice pays for a course leading to a qualification and the member of staff leaves within a two year period after completing the course, they have to pay back all or part of the cost of the training depending on how soon after they leave.

I would suggest this to prospective employers as it gives a sense of commitment for both parties.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #1063 by dumpling81
i guess that depends on the area and the practice.
At some interviews i've been to where i've asked about further training for example,few are actually willing to send nurses on courses any more as the nurses then leave shortly after this investment. would that be anything to do with their pay or poor working conditions? who knows....i also went to join an agency recently and was shown some vacancies to be put forward for. i asked what sort of practices they were to which the recruitment officer said "fully private,so 'nice' practices" but my view is 'private' doesn't always = 'nice'!

13 years 5 months ago #1021 by Vms118
I have never worked in a hospital but i'd also vote hospital. Having worked in both NHS and private I would say both are bad career path ways unless you are desiring a life long career in being under appreciated and paid.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 5 months ago #1004 by Gooders
I'd vote hospital. Simply becoz both hosp jobs I've had have been excellent. However it does depend on the hospital. If your in London you can't go wrong really.

I'm like Marmite, you'll either love me or hate me.

13 years 5 months ago #1001 by dumpling81
hiya fellow nurses, hope you have had a good day at work.

i'm just curious as to your opinions on this subject.

i've not been qualified long (nov 09) and i trained in an nhs hospital in london. prior to that i've worked in an nhs practice for 6 months.when i qualified i worked in a mixed nhs/private and a private practice.
based on the pesonal experiences i've had, i feel most at home in a hospital environment.
i like the benefits and payscale,
working with students (dentists and ellow nurses)
i like the opportunities to progress and the support/training,
i like working with special needs patients and the opportunity to work with more complex treatment/cases.
the variety of working in deferent departments and the larger 'community' feel as opposed to a small practice.
i have personally also found the inection control procedures in hospital environment where i worked far more strict which i prefer and some of those in practice have been quite laid back with a few corners cut (!)

i wondered what your opinions are?
also what environment you have worked in in the past where you work now
and in and what area
if you enjoy it and why?

thanks in advance! :)

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New