× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Retension fee

13 years 6 months ago #914 by CES21
Yeah trained at Uni (still came out with the national certificate and a uni one(not really worth anything))
Did placements in practice and also worked with trainee dentist's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #913 by Vms118
You trained at university to be a DN?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #911 by Unthanka
Dont bother signing up to the BADN they've jumped on the (lets change the dental nurses as much as we can) bandwagon!
Both the GDC and the BADN know they have got us over a barrel, we have to pay or we cant work!

Its not even as if we can pay in instalments, they want the fee out off one months wage, which again I point out!.. WE ARE NOT EARNING ENOUGH!

This is not just down to the GDC thou, the dentist need to change there mind set, they still think of us as 'the hired help'. Things have changed we now have to jump thou hoops and pay to be on a registar and pay for CPD.
Like I said before the GDC are saying we need to be registared professional, maybe they need to put pressure on the dentists.
If this matter doesnt change, I think we are going to have a mass walk out of dental nurses.

:angry:

13 years 6 months ago #910 by CES21
I kind of know who they are but I trained at Uni for the first 2 so never really gave it any thought!

13 years 6 months ago #909 by Vms118
I'm pretty suprised you don't know who the BADN are after 3 years CES21, see them here -

www.badn.org.uk/

Do you live in the stix or something? I wouldn't sign up to them though, most DN's I hear talk about them state it's a waste of money.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #907 by DNN
Hi Dental Nurse's,

Here at The Dental Nurse Network we understand and appreciate the costs that us DN's are subjected to.

Everything just seems to be going up year after year, GDC Registration, Badn fee etc..., but in most cases our salaries seem to be going nowhere...

And not to mention travel and basic living costs.

So most of you are probably thinking why are we putting up our Cpd subscription from £ 19-99 to £ 24-99?

First of all: We are proud to say that it is still affordable.

Secondly: Our specially DN tailored introductory offer of £19.99 has been running on our site for the last 6 months and was due for expiry.

We have been blown away by the number of positive responses we have been receiving from our members. We are proud to say that we have an excellent team of dental care professional who write our Cpd articles at the highest of standards.

Thirdly: We are still keeping our costs as low as possible - if you compare us to other CPD Subscriptions available.

Fourthly: Our CPD articles give you the flexibility to do it online in the comfort of your own time.

All in all, our mission to give Dn's affordable quality CPD's still stands!

:dry:

13 years 6 months ago #906 by CES21
This just isn't fair!
I'm quite newish to dental nursing (3 years)
What are the BADN (or whatever) for ?

13 years 6 months ago #905 by Vms118
This is my point. If you were a miner,a nurse or a vet then you'd say "I know, I'll complain to the {insert appropriate organisation name here} and they'll sort it out" But DN's have no one.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago #903 by CES21
I never had a chance to sign anything!
Would it do any good complaining to the GDC?
Who would be best to go to about this?
We need to do something we can't let them take the mick like this. we aren't getting anything from this!

13 years 6 months ago #902 by Vms118
We do not get a say in this. Even Downing Street ignored a (nation wide?) petetion in 2009 I think.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #889 by chloesheppard
I actually could not belive this when I read this this morning I'm so miffed I agree with you on the whole hygeinest pay the same ARF! HOw can we be grouped up like that?
When do we get a say in all of this anyways?

13 years 6 months ago #888 by rhianp
i found out about the ARF last week and kept meaning to post it up aswell. it's disgusting what we have to pay and to be totally honest i feel really let down by the BADN. i have changed to the DDU it is £70 but if tereis another colleague a memeber you get it half price, £35 so that is what i am doing, i was paying an extra £25 for a crap magazine 3/12 and it was atotal pointless waste of money, also whenever i called the BADN for advice etc i alwyas got peoples answer phones and end up calling dental nurse netowrk and the lady i spoke to was so lovely and helpful.
i done with BADN. :angry:

sorry, finished now!

13 years 6 months ago #887 by Unthanka
Hi please excuss my spelling this morning I was slightly miffed!

This website itself has announced the new fee as well as the GDC. I hope Im wrong but I doubt it.
I think you are correct! I have now been to the BADN website if you put yourself in as a new member wanting to join, Trafalgar insurance brokers will come up asking you for your duties. mine come to over £110! thats on top of the new £120 retension fee + what ever we have to pay to keep up the the CPD requirements.
Well over £270 per year. :dry:

I seems so unfair when Hygienist and Therapist are paying exactly the same retension as we are?! I wouldnt mind paying it if I was earning £25-£30k a year but it far from it, some poor nurses are barely earing £12k. Its a joke. :angry:

Is it just me or is this crazy??

13 years 6 months ago #886 by Maisyandmoo
Hey,
When was this announced?!
I hate to0 be the bearer of bad news however the indemnity insurance is only £70 if you do basic duties only.... I found this out a few weeks ago during a CPD course where one of the regional coordinators was also attending.

If I remember rightly the insurers the BADN are contacting people with their renewal asking for further details of what you do in your job.... When I checked on the website and made the relevant changes my indemnity has gone up to about £130.

I'll try to find the link and post it back here, it's a shame BADN haven't said anything in the journals, and the insurers whom we pay to protect us haven't contacted their policy holders, it would be nice to know if I am currently properly indemnified?

I'm really hoping someone can say actually Maisyandmoo you're wrong as I know my wages will not reflect this extra fee

13 years 6 months ago #885 by Unthanka
Good news! the retension fee has gone up! ONLY £120!
Are we all going to get a pay rise for this? Seems like the GDC want us to recognised as professionals yet the dentists wont pay us professionals!
Can someone tell me why general nurses within the NHS pay a retension fee of £68 per yr and are averaging a wage of around £21k -£26 yr , When a dental nurses averaging around £13k - £17k has now been told to pay £120 + £90 BDAN fee + £70 indemity insurance + £40 CPD? And most dentists wont help with the fee!

How are we suppose to afford this!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New