× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

NHS dental appointments

9 years 1 week ago #6635 by dental_nurse23
Hey,

At my first practice, we would never make an appointment without the patients say so. If an appointment had to be moved, we would either try calling them if it was short notice, or sending them a letter if it was a few weeks out to say that the appointment had been cancelled. We never just rebooked them without their say so.
However, at my new practice, if we need to move an appointment, we just send them a letter saying 'we have moved your appointment to blah blah. Please call us if this is inconvenient'. If they don't show up, we just assume they haven't got the letter but we don't mark it against them.
It sounds as though your friend has missed quite a few appointments. We usually give a patient 3 chances before they have to be moved to a different dentist (still in the same practice but down the 'hierarchy' as it were. If they are completely hopeless, then we refuse to see them and I believe we are in our right to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #6628 by Ekw
Hi there

I think it depends on the clinic being attended. At my work it not unusual for us to send when we are able to see the patient not when the want to attend us. A lot of clinics run on certain day for example our sedation sessions run everyday but with different levels of clinicians so they see different levels of treatment and cases, this means if our SHO only has sedation on Monday PMs and Tuesday AMs that's when we will send appts out if a parent phones saying they would prefer a Friday PM we could only move them to a clinician of the same level if this is not possible then this request may be refused. It may be different in practice but could depend when that clinician works, or what treatments they do at certain times in the day such as they may not want to do large surgical procedures or extractions at 4pm onwards in case there are issues so a patient may not get a request for this time. But I suppose you have only heard your friends side and what she perceived happened.

9 years 2 weeks ago #6618 by kittykat
I've never heard of any general dental practice dictating when patients must come in and see them. I think you've only heard half the story and I guess that the practice would tell you a different tale.

9 years 3 weeks ago #6604 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Hi

So basically I had a friend contact me that goes to an NHS dentist well went to an NHS dentist
She has been removed and refused re-admittance onto the books of this dentist because she has had to cancel appointments that they have made for her even though she has told them on a number of occasions that she can only do certain days.
Basically what I am asking is can a dentist either NHS or private tell you what date and time you have to come for an appointment without asking you what date/time is best for you to attend?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New