× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New sharps in practice

9 years 5 months ago #6413 by Dentalnurse5
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #6410 by kittykat

9 years 6 months ago #6408 by Dentalnurse5
Hi,

Can someone provide the web link to the new sharps legislation? Id really like to view it but cant find it online!

Thank you :)

9 years 7 months ago #6375 by kittykat
Hi Lou,
When the new sharps legislation came into force we did a new risk assessment and an outcome of that was to move towards using a safer sharps system.

In my practice as the traditional syringes fail, they are being replaced by a safer sharps system. We have just bought some Safety Plus, and in the next couple of years the whole practice will be using them.

I have to admit the principal wasn't keen on them as they are approximately three times the price of the needles we are currently using but the I got the practice manager on board by doing the costings and presenting her with the pros and cons of each system and of not using any system at all.

In all honesty I think that re-sheathing using an appropriate re-sheathing device and disposing of used needles doesn't actually carry that much risk if the person doing it is competent & lets face it, if a dentist can't re-sheath a needle competently, should they be wielding a drill?

I have to add, that in my practice it is the clinicians responsibility to re-sheath and dispose of all used needles so the nurses should never be doing it and I regularly remind them of that.

I would put together a short presentation showing your principals the benefits of using a safer sharps system and work out some costings for them; is there any way you could make saving on other materials/sundries you buy to off set against the cost of the safer sharps?

In regard to protecting the nurses, I would have them refuse to re-sheath or dispose of used needles on the grounds of health and safety. If the dentists don't want to invest in safer sharps then they can be the ones to re-sheath and dispose & put themselves at risk.

9 years 7 months ago #6371 by Louisebe
Hi Guys

As you all know the new sharps legislation came into force recently. I have held a meeting at the practice to discuss implementation and the principals declined swapping for safer single disposable units. SAFETY PLUS ONES. We had initials input on this matter too and my principals are of the understanding they can carry on as normal re-sheathing as we haven't had a sharps injury for some time now.

I have mentioned the risks in carrying on using the systems we do, but no one has listened. I have produced a written risk assessment to cover us to some degree but still feel we need to comply and switch systems.

Has anyone implemented the change in practice and is it as necessary as I think it is, despite my principals shrugging it off?? I am trying to protect the practice and my girls.

If anyone has any advice on this, I would appreciate your feedback

Thanks
Lou

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New