× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hygienists working with Nurses?

9 years 11 months ago #6178 by Smith12
Hi

Our hygienist at my practice always has a nurse to assist unless we have a nurse off sick that leaves us short, but even then all our other nurses would go in and out to help whenever they have a gap between patients. Our hygienist has 20mins per patient and there is no way she could carry out the treatment, record accurate notes and charting, clean to excellent cross infection standards on her own in that time. I feel it is necessary for all staff carrying out treatment on patients to have a chaperone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 hours ago #6153 by Rachael_S
At the practice where I work the hygeinist is never with a nurse. And I don't think it's necessary for them to have one. I mean, of course if the practice has one spare, then why not. But I base my opinion on the fact the procedures they do pose a minimal risk to patients.

As for the chaperone element, I don't think its required.

10 years 1 week ago #6136 by janet123
I really dont think a dentist is required to have a chaperone in the surgery at all times...of course if the dentist didn't have me there he would probably take 100x longer to do the most simple procedure..but, when it comes to it we dont "need" to be there (just dont tell my dentist that or ill be out a job)

Marma herself wrote a blog about a friend of hers (a dental nurse) who works in her surgery ALONE taking impressions all day. I would LOVE to be able to do that...but i would feel kinda down if there was a dentist there chaperoning me just in case something went wrong.

10 years 1 week ago #6135 by murtle_28
The hygienists at the practice where I work only have a nurse if there is a nurse spare to work with them.
I agree and say hygienists should require a nurse as much as a dentist, it's not fair for them to be left alone with patients

10 years 1 week ago #6134 by toothfairy
We always try to supply a nurse for our Hygienists, however, if there is a staff shortage the Dentist takes priority, on the assumption that most Hygienists were formerly Nurses, so should know the score, nowadays it seems they're a bit more needy :S

10 years 1 week ago #6132 by MrsW
Do the hygienists at your practices have nurses to work with them?
In one of the topics on the forum it was brought up that dentists should always have a chaperone in the surgery with them. Why is this so different for hygienists? :dry:
I have worked in 2 practices and both practices have hygienists work on their own, yet most of the dentists insist they must have a nurse in with them at all times (apart from developing X-rays and the other obvious times...)
The poor hygienists at my current practice constantly ask for a nurse and are constantly told they do not need one....As a nurse who is constantly told by her dentist that he must not be left alone, I feel very sorry for the hygienists.....
I'm curious to find out what it's like for hygienists at your practice?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New