× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Dental Nurse - Trainee Learning materials

10 years 4 months ago #5875 by rg2903
Hi Ditzy,

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago - I started working at the beginning of August and was working on my own from about my third day on the job. One thing I found invaluable was having a notebook which I always kept with me. Even if you don't have time to write things down in between patients, make notes at the beginning/end of the day or at lunchtime. If there's something you're not sure about, don't be afraid to ask someone. One of the first things I ever wrote in my notebook was what instruments to set out for exam and filling trays (complete with descriptions like "pointy one with lines" to remind me which was which).

Even if you're not actually working with anyone, is there another nurse at your practice who'd be able to help you with things at all? Either at work when you both have time, or someone you could text/email if you had a question? As other people have said, a textbook would be a great help too. Have a look on Amazon - Levisons or NVQs for Dental Nurses are both good general books, and you can get one called "basic guide to dental instruments" which is much more detailed. (It's good to have that knowledge but you'll quite likely find that you get asked for "the green one" rather than the official name for whatever it is!)

It can seem like there's so much to learn and you'll never be able to remember it all, but you'll be amazed at how quickly you do pick things up. In less than four months I've gone from being terrified of making mistakes and being in the way, to being the only nurse at my practice (we don't have a practice manager either) and being confident in my ability to keep things running and even getting us through our CQC inspection! Don't worry, you'll get there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #5855 by Twiki
Hi there

Amazon is a great place to look for books of dental instruments also. Dental nurses handbook.

Also if your dentist is willing and has time, ask questions, ask about instruments and materials and what they do and why they use them. some dentists use all the instruments some have their favourites.

Hope this helps - also your course materials should contain all the info you require.

10 years 4 months ago #5851 by Ekw
Hi there

When you say you've no buddy do you mean there's no one mentoring you? Is your senior not setting time for you and them to go over certain thing?

10 years 4 months ago #5841 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Thankyou
Yeah i dont start until january but i just would like to get ahead - its something in my nature/genes i like to no alot before i probably need to - i started looking at gcse's at 12
My colleague has lent me her levison but i just feel it isnt answering any of the questions or things i want at the moment
I have no "buddy" as I have the job to replace 2 that left us 2 weeks ago

10 years 4 months ago #5839 by whitelock
Hi,

You could ask one of the other nurses if they could lend you any of their text books they may still have from when they did their courses, and Allison's suggestion of looking through catalogues is a great idea!

I still to this day, 9 years after first stepping foot into a dental practice as a nurse, use the "beak to cheek" method!! I still can't look at molar forceps and pick them out without turning them round so they are "beak to cheek" with my face. :laugh:

You WILL remember the names of things, much quicker than you think, its just a heck of a lot to take in at first :)

I hope you enjoy doing your course!

10 years 4 months ago #5834 by Ekw
Hi there,

Its always a weird time between starting work and starting the course I was the same 12 years ago starting in December but waiting until Feb/march to go to college. I agree with Allison old catalogues are great to look through one of the other nurses that was helping me gave her Levinson to look through a lot did not make a huge amount of sense but gave me an idea on certain areas. Also I looked at certain instruments and tried to think of ways to remember them I've never forgotten being told "beak to cheek" when remembering upper left and right molar forceps still use that now as probably many nurses will. If your senior or whoever is mentoring you could set some time aside to look at instruments and go over them it just takes time once you know you will never forget.

10 years 4 months ago #5830 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Thankyou i just want to be useful i feel in the way at the moment

10 years 4 months ago #5828 by Allison
Hi Ditzy,

I'm a dinosaur dental nurse as I've been doing the job for 34 years. If you are having trouble remembering the names of instruments, see if your practice has any old instruments catalogues you can have. You can just flick thru at your leisure and eventually you will remember names. That's a start and as you get to grips with different procedures in surgery you soon pick up what is used for what.

All dentists work differently and have their own instrument preferences so if you are with the same dentist on a regular basis you will learn what they use. It will seem like a flash and you will be pre-empting what they need..honest!

My dentist can't remember the proper names for half of the instruments we use so don't worry too much. If I had to re-sit the NEBDN now, I'd be calling instruments a whattzit, thingy, ermm or even a youknow cos that's what I get asked for! Often I don't even get a vocal communication, I get these kind of hand gestures. It's a bit like dental charades but I must say I'm expert at it now. Another thing is you will develop a sixth sense pretty soon and know what the dentist needs even before they do!

The thing is don't worry about what you don't know and don't be afraid to ask, that way they know you are wanting to learn xx

10 years 4 months ago #5821 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
So
I have just got myself a job working in a very nice and small "family" dental practice.
I have never looked at dentistry or ever even thought about it until i got the job but basically now im looking at what i can do myself until my apprenticeship starts to help me learn dental nurse/dentistry basics.
1 thing i know i definitely struggle with is the instruments and what they are/are for as I am just guessing at the moment and getting most of them wrong.

Please can anyone help x

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New