× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Male dental nurse !!

10 years 11 months ago #5475 by Markwyb
Hi there.

I've been a Male Dental Nurse for nine years now. we are a rare breed !! but as others have mentioned its on the rise. I did my training in a Dental Hospital in London and there was three other lads on my course and four qualified who worked there.

If your on Facebook I believe there is still a group for Male Dental Nurses! set up by a friend of mine.

Good luck with your training buddy.

Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #5448 by dawnybee
Hello,
wishing you good luck in your career! I personally don't know of any male Dental Nurses but as the previous comments say it is a varied and rewarding career. There has been an of article written in the Vital magazine highlighting the role of the Male Dental Nurse.
I have been a (female) Dental Nurse for years now and i love my job! :)

10 years 11 months ago #5442 by Jellybean
Hello!

We don't have any male nurses where I work but my previous practice hired a male after a left.

And when I took my exams there were two males that sat the written exam..

There are definatley a lot more female nurses but don't let that put you off, I'd love to have a guy work here!

10 years 11 months ago #5438 by HRussell
Hello,

When was training there was a lad on my course, he was doing nursing so he could go on to be a technician.
Over the years I have met quite a few male nurses plus there happens to be one at the practice I am registered at so don't don't worry you certainly are not the one out there, if anything the number of male nurses is on the rise.

I wish you lots of luck and don't be afraid to ask us all for advice :)

10 years 11 months ago #5434 by adam.manhertz
Hey :) I am also a male dental nurse (the only one in my area (we have 3 practices quite close by)). I think it is really good being a male nurse as it gets the patient talking to you a little more as they are interested in it =]

Power to the Male Nurses :D

10 years 11 months ago #5432 by Ekw
Hi there

It's getting more common now for a guy to be a dental nurse, when I trained 11 years ago there two guys that had just qualified ahead of me and where I am now we had a guy who recently qualified and has moved to a orthodontic practice and 1 still here who's been here for years. It's no different to a male nurse and there's plenty of them around! I wouldn't worry or think too much about this, you've got a good opportunity to train in an interesting area with an ever expanding list of opportunities for you once your qualified, enjoy your course and your new team I'm sure they will support you.
Ever need advice there is plenty of lovely fellow DN's on here that will help.

10 years 11 months ago #5416 by doogieboy
Good evening everybody ,

I'm looking for a wee bit of advice from you ?

I have just gained the post of a trainee dental nurse & just wondering if this profession has many male dental nurses in it ?
I am really looking forward to starting the course but just wary of being the only male on the course.

Can u please give me some advice for shy male :evil: :evil:

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New