× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

dental water lines

10 years 10 months ago #5664 by jem
Hi
I look after 3 surgeries with A-dec units only 5 years old. For the first 2 years used the A-dec system of sterilex and ICX tablets.
I went along to the dentistry show and had a word with the guys that make the Alpron system (quality water systems) and they gave me some free dipslides to test my units. The results were not good so I switched to using the Alpron system and have never looked back!!
Once you have done an initial Biofilm removal system(BRS) you then just continuously use Alpron in the water bottles and carry out a dipslide test every quarter. you only need to repeat the BRS if you get a bad result, I have never had anything appear on my slides since I switched to the Alpron system!
Not only does it work but it is very simple to use and you only need to purge the lines in the morning and between patients (unless the unit is out of use for more than 2 weeks). The dipslides are also easy to use and you don't have to have an incubator, you can also get a certificate to show that you maintain clean waterlines.
Recently we had a few of the A-dec bigwigs visit our surgery to sort out one of our units lights that had been faulty ever since we had it installed, they had never heard of Alpron and I had to explain it all to them and show them my photographic evidence! :laugh:
P.S I always buy the Alpron and dipslides direct from QWS as much cheaper than the usual dental suppliers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #5383 by kittykat
I've never used the Adec system so I'm unsure of the procedure.
We use Alpron which is used continuously and means we never have remove the water bottle at night or purge the system. We still run the water lines at the beginning of the session (2 mins) and between patients.
A quarterly dip slide test is carried out to ensure the system has not been contaminated. I highly rate the Alpron system, it's so easy to use.

A quick Google brought this up (hope it works)

gb.a-dec.com/en/~/media/Adec/Document%20...r%20Use/85098300.pdf

10 years 11 months ago #5377 by SBA
Hiya,

dental water lines should be flushed at the beginning of surgery, in between patients and at the end of surgery (for at least two minutes) and written down and initialed onto a sheet showing that you have done this. The water bottle should contain distilled water with a measurement of 50ml Apron, which is to be refilled when ran out.

It is important to carry out as biofilms can form on water lines, harmless or not, and have the ability to harbour pathogens - Legionella being one of them.

Hope this helps! :)

10 years 11 months ago #5272 by slforeman
Hi.
Our adec dental unit has a self contained water bottle that has distilled water and an adec tablet put in,do the lines still need flushing with something like alpron and if so,how often does it need to be used,is this the best product to use.
Thanks.x

sarah

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New