× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Dentists who are rude about patients

11 years 2 months ago #4348 by molargirl678
Hi Ekw, Yes the Prinicpal has spoken with the Dentist in question. The locum nurse wont be called on again I am sure.
The patient who had the comment about their clothes hasnt rebooked and frankly I dont blame them. It is enough to have limited mobility and mental health issues without having people comment on your personal appearance.

I like the positive comments here from you guys, its great to know that there are some professionals out there who have a genuine interest in their patients from whichever background they are from. I used to work in a hospital and so would see people in the HIV/HepB clinic, and for emergencies some homeless patients, serious drug users, prostitutes, you name it -I have seen it! The cross section of our society is so vast that none of these things nor a dirty pair of trousers or a bit of an odour should never be a barrier to care.

Thank you all for your comments :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CatNHS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #4332 by HRussell
I've encountered a few Dentists like that in my time.
Think they forget where they are and that they are a so called professional.
At the end of the day they are there to offer a service and like Ekw said he's in the wrong job if he doesn't agree.

I find some Dentists appalling in their attitude and behaviour towards people, it's like they are looking down on them as if they are worthless.
Some of them are a bit too far up their own behinds and could do with being a little more humble.

11 years 2 months ago #4321 by Ekw
Hi there

I think that dentist and the nurses views and actions are appalling. We all have a duty of care to our patients regardless of who they are or the way they live their lives, ofcourse we all have families or single patients who we know have difficulty in their day to day lives keeping themselves in clean clothes and washed but we never judge like you said there could be reasons for their struggles. That dentist cannot be allowed to act in that way Nhs service is for everybody and if he doesn't agree then he's in the wrong job.
I used to assist in a homeless clinic when I worked in community and I'd never have judged any of my patients who came in even when they came in drunk or having taken something before attending alot of them were of "no fixed abode" so not all had access to a wash and clean clothes it didn't make me feel I didn't want them to attend.
Is your principal going to speak to your dentist? Also the nurse?

11 years 2 months ago #4287 by molargirl678
I wondered if any of you have any views on this?

Our newly appointed Dentist has some very unsavoury views of patients whom he treats. We are a standard NHS practice and we see and treat people from all walks of life.

He does not like to treat patients who smell or who he deems to be dirty and has started to refuse to see patients who 'might' need alot of work doing. He recently asked a disabled patient to 'please wear clean clothes next time' and the locum nurse (who agreed with his rude comments) practically sprayed her out of the room with febreeze! (I would usually retain their dignity by doing this after they had gone!)

This to me is really unethical and does not step in line with treating all patients with dignity and kindness. Some patients may smell of stale urine due to bladder cancer, they may be suffering from mental health issues and some may be unable to care for themselves effectively. These patients are the ones that yes, maybe we put a dab of eugenol or a bit of minty spray i the mask for - but there is no need to outwardly display your distaste at their hygiene.

I think its a vile point of view. The principal is aware of it and is keeping an eye on his behaviour. I just wondered if there are other Dentists like this and weather any one else agrees with his views and if so, why?

Thanks in advance! :)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New