× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

advice needed please

12 years 11 months ago #1392 by flipflop
I think some people should get some manners. Carry on and dont change for anybody. be confident in yourself and remeber these rude, arrogant people are not the sort of folk you would want to work with anyway. Hold your head high and think you are much better than they are. Good luck x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 week ago #1369 by Assessor
Hi Speak to Luara Horton of Laura horton cosulting. She can do a mock interview with you and show where or if your going wrong. She trains treatment coordinators. look her up on Facebook.:P

13 years 2 weeks ago #1362 by mela82
Thank you for your response,
I didn't think to check my C.V - i mean, i don't feel that i have elaborated on anything but i guess a potential employer may see something that i don't so that will be my first port of call. i agree with you about not slagging off an employer, i honestly never do - If anything, i have no negative feelings towards my current boss - and when asked why i am leaving, it is due to the fact that i am a locum, there is no permanent position available for me and i would like to further my career.
I guess it is more about my confidence, as you said, i am trying to sell myself!
anyway, i will keep this post updated!
thanks again! :)

13 years 2 weeks ago #1361 by fifi
Aww don't let it get you down!

I would suggest having a long hard look at your CV and see if you have dressed up some skills that maybe you shouldn't. I always tailor my CV to the job. So if its for a more reception admin type job I don't concentrate on my dental nurse abilities but rather things I have done admin wise that I have done well.

I have a few rules in interviews and have thus far not had anyone turn me down..

Listen to them speak. If they want to talk non stop about themselves then mores the better, less for you to have to talk about!

DO NOT SLAG OFF ANY OLD EMPLOYER. Massive golden rule.

Smile and maintain eye contact.

And thats it, otherwise you have to remember you're selling yourself to them. Just like you would sell your car to a new owner or your house to a new buyer.

GOOD LUCK in your search, sometimes you may find it easier to start out somewhere as a dental nurse and work your way up as they build their confidence in you and you in them. Treatment planners know their patients and the intricacies of how that particular practice works - so someone new isn't necessarily the best person for the job :)

x

13 years 2 weeks ago #1360 by mela82
I would really appreciate some advice.
I am a qualified dental nurse with over 6 years experience. I resigned from my job last year as i wanted to move further up the chain and work on reception with the aim of training to become a treatment coordinator.
I have been getting by as a locum working mainly at my old practice as they have needed help on reception as well as more managerial duties but they barely need the cover now.
I have noticed quite a few reception and or treatment coordinator jobs, been applying, even had some interviews but i am either over qualified, not what they are looking for or i do not have enough experience!
I have just come home from a really awful interview where i was made to feel so small - the PM was yawning, wouldn't even look me in the eye and then cut my interview short as i was 'wasting her time'!
this is not the first interview i have had that has been like this and to be honest i am getting really fed up, down and basically loosing my confidence.
upon applications, i am always honest about what i am looking for and what experience i do or don't have - but the majority of interviews i have had always make me seem to feel like I have waster THEIR time!
I know my confidence is not great when it comes to interviews but i also know that i am a good employee! I have had a good education, i am very well spoken, i love chatting and have no problems with communication. I am always on time, very flexable, always ready to help out, rarely ill and i have good references! - none of this seems to matter!
I would really appreciate some advice, maybe some pointers on interview techniques, anything! i have been hitting a dead end since june last year and am really becoming disheartened! please if anyone has any input, i would be very grateful!
thank you

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New