DNN offers this three-month course for registered dental nurses who wish to become competent at fluoride varnish application under a prescription from a dentist or as part of a public health programme, but who do not need the NEBDN fully accredited course. For further information on the NEBDN Accredited Fluoride Varnish Application course run by DNN, click HERE. This certificated course is recommended for dental nurses who are unlikely to be applying for courses such as Dental Hygiene/Dental Therapy.
What the course will cover:
- Clinical patient management, patient care, standards, communication.
- Scope of practice, consent.
- Delivery of the correct knowledge, content and application of Delivering Better Oral Health, together with an explanation of the use of evidence-based statements.
- Principles of oral health education and promotion.
- History, use and benefits of fluoride.
- Clinical evidence in support of the use of fluoride varnish, particularly DoH.
- Carious process and fluoride’s role in preventing occurrence/recurrence.
- Dental anatomy in health and disease.
- Contraindications for the use of fluoride varnish and fluoride toxicity.
- Application of fluoride varnish.