Dental Nurse Network's Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is created by a network of dental nurses and other dental care professionals dedicated to professional growth for dental nurses. Our writers hold relevant qualifications including nationally recognised lifelong learning (CPD) teaching qualifications.
CPD requirements are set out in Law. The GDC require that DCP's complete 50 hours of Verifiable CPD every five-year cycle. Click here for GDC guidance.
- This CPD Subscription includes 10 hours of Verifiable CPD.
- You will gain instant access upon purchase.
- Why not try our free verifiable CPD? Please login and you will see the link under my courses and certificates.
- We do not auto-renew payments, to subscribe the following year you will need to sign-up again.
- Dental Nurse Network Certificates are accepted by the General Dental Council.
- Payments can be made online or by telephone (call 020 7193 0584).
- Suitable for: dental nurses, dental hygienists, dental therapists, orthodontic therapists, clinical dental technicians.
- Medical Emergencies – 3 hours of verifiable CPD
- Radiography and Radiation Protection – 2 hours of verifiable CPD
- Disinfection and Decontamination/Infection Control – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Legal and Ethical Issues – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Complaints Handling – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Oral Cancer – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Safeguarding Children, Young Adults and Vulnerable Adults – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
Development Outcomes: C
- Define the acronym DRS ABCD
- Describe how to deliver effective CPR
- Differentiate between CPR for adults and children
- Explain the position of the defibrillator pads
- List the contents of your practice emergency drugs kit
- List three different cardiac emergencies
- State the signs and symptoms of cardiac emergencies
- Explain the steps to take when suspecting a cardiac emergency
- State the signs and symptoms of choking
- Explain how to deliver abdominal thrusts and back blows
- Define hyperventilation and suggest ways you can help patients to deal with this
- Define the acronym FAST
- Explain the signs and symptoms of asthma attack
- List the reasons to ring 999 when a patient is having an epileptic seizure
- State the differences between hyper and hypoglycaemia
- Define anaphylaxis
- Explain how to treat a patient following a faint
Radiography and Radiation Protection
Development Outcomes: C
- Define quality assurance in dental radiography
- List film faults and how they can occur
- Discuss methods of quality assurance
- Discuss what happens when an X-ray contacts the human body
- List the legislation relevant to dental radiography
- Describe the different roles involved in dental radiography
Disinfection and Decontamination/Infection Control
Development Outcomes: C, D
- A review of relevant microbiology
- Transmission of pathogens
- Relevant guidance – Health Technical Memorandum (HTM) 01-05
- Practice policy requirements
- Training requirements for staff in decontamination, including Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements
Legal and Ethical Issues
Development Outcomes: D
- To highlight the differences between dental ethics and law
- To explore the relevance of dental ethics and legislation to dentistry
- To reflect on the role of dental professionals and how ethics and law can gain and maintain patients’ trust and confidence in our profession
Development Outcomes: A, D
- The potential reasons for patient complaints (including a look at recent complaints statistics)
- The mandatory requirements/legal obligations of practice policies and procedures relating to complaints handling
- Appropriate ways of handling complaints in dental practices to prevent escalation
- The potential positives in complaints handling
- Preventing complaints
Development Outcomes: C
- To provide a brief overview of the pathology and staging of oral cancer
- To enable understanding of the risk factors associated with oral cancer
- To enable understanding of the oral cancer screening process
- To enable understanding of the referral process for potential malignant lesions
Safeguarding Children, Young Adults and Vulnerable Adults
Development Outcomes: A
- Name the main laws and regulations relating to safeguarding
- Identify the different types of abuse and the characteristics associated with them
- Explain what should be in place at your practice regarding safeguarding
- List the steps to take if you suspect abuse
Why not try our free verifiable CPD? Please login and you will see the link under my courses and certificates.
Step 1: Read information
Step 2: Complete quiz questions
- Unlimited attempts
- 80% pass required
Step 3: Answer reflective questions
Step 4:Give us feedback
Step 5: Download certificate
Why users love our CPD:
- Excellent support team Monday–Friday
- User-friendly CPD software – easy to use and follow
- Mobile friendly CPD software
- Unlimited attempts to pass
- Record of your CPD activity accessible anytime you log in
- Certificates accessible anytime you log in
- CPD courses accessible from any device that has access to the internet
- Dental Nurse Network Certificates are accepted by the General Dental Council
How we meet CPD guidelines:
This CPD subscription is internally moderated by Emma Leather RDN, IQA, TAQA, PTLLS.
Emma holds a Level 4 National Certificate in Internal Quality Assurance (IQA). View certificate here.
Dental Nurse Network Certificates are accepted by the General Dental Council
All CPD material meets the GDC guidelines for verifiable CPD activity, including:
- clear learning outcomes
- concise educational aims and objectives
- clear anticipated outcomes
- content meets GDC Standards
- quality controls
Online Verifiable Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Courses: Terms and Conditions
1) The course, course material and resources will be available from the start date specified in the course information once enrolment and payment have been processed. All course due dates and end dates are specified in the course information. After the course end date, access to information and resources for the course will no longer be available.
2) To extend your subscription to Online Verifiable CPD courses, the following are available:
a) A one (1)-month subscription extension at the cost of 20% of your subscription fee.
b) A three (3)-month subscription extension at the cost of 50% of your subscription fee.
3) If you wish to unenrol for any reason, the following policies apply at the discretion of Dental Nurse Network:
a) Within the first 30 days of enrolment, if you have completed one hour of verifiable CPD (one topic) or less, a full refund of fees will be granted.
b) If you have been enrolled for 31 days or longer, regardless of the number of CPD hours completed, no refund of any fees will be granted.