Tooth whitening is an increasingly popular cosmetic treatment, with dental nurses able to play a key role in the process if they are trained and competent to do so. Course Brochure
This course is for GDC-registered dental nurses who would like to broaden their knowledge of tooth whitening. It focuses on the additional theoretical and practical skills required to support clinicians and patients during a variety of tooth whitening treatments.
The course includes content on how to support practice marketing.
Please note, under the Scope of Practice, dental nurses can assist with the whitening procedure but are not permitted to apply whitening gel directly to a patient’s teeth.
The course is taught by Melanie Pomphrett. Melanie qualified as a dental hygienist at the University of Essex in 2015. She was named Best Hygienist at the 2020 Dentistry Awards and was highly commended in the Best Hygienist category at the 2020 Oral Health Awards. Melanie has a passion for teaching dental professionals and has undertaken a Level 3 Award in Education and Training followed by a PGCert in Education. Melanie also completed an MSc in Advanced and Specialist Healthcare (Dental Professional Practice) at the University of Kent in 2019, winning the BDEF Young Writers Award in 2021 for her dissertation project on Direct Access. In recent years, Melanie has undertaken professional marketing roles with Philips and, more recently, with Colgate-Palmolive, focusing on their professional whitening portfolios.
The major benefits of the course include:
- Online tutorials.
- Excellent tutor support.
- Flexible learning.
- Nationwide availability.
- 15 hours of verifiable CPD.
- Level 2 Certificate in Whitening Assisting awarded upon completion of the course and assessments.
Structure and Objectives
- Online tutorials;
- Online multiple choice quizzes;
- Record of Competence Portfolio (RoC).
RoC Assessment Information
You are expected to complete a minimum of ten records of ten patients under supervision.
The portfolio will include a record of the following:
- Appointment preparation.
- Pre- and post-treatment instructions.
- Assisting the procedure.
- Clinical photographs.
- Tray-making (if trays are made in-house; otherwise this is not a requirement).
We do not specify patient groups, i.e children, adults.
The role of the supervisor:
You will need a supervisor in order to complete this course, and training should be completed under supervision until you are competent and confident.
Your supervisor should be:
- A GDC-registered dentist.
- Willing to guide you through your practical training.
- Able to comment on and sign your portfolio.
Please note, if you have already completed Dental Nurse Network’s impression-taking course within the last two years, you have the option to forgo the impression-taking section of the Record of Competence. If you have completed impression-taking with another provider within the last two years, please contact us to confirm if you can forgo the section. We will need a record of your certificate and Record of Competence.
Module 1: Tooth Whitening
Unit 1: An Introduction to Tooth Whitening
- Summarise the history of tooth whitening
- Understand the key EU legislation related to tooth whitening
- Demonstrate an understanding of illegal tooth whitening treatments
- Discuss the Dental Nurses’ role in whitening assisting in accordance with the GDC Scope of Practice and the GDC Standards
Unit 2: The Science Behind Whitening
- Demonstrate an understanding of intrinsic and extrinsic tooth staining.
- Explain how whitening works.
Module 2: The Whitening Procedure
Unit 1: Whitening Options and Tray Designs
- List the different types of whitening treatments available.
- Discuss whitening tray design.
Unit 2: Supporting Whitening Procedures
- Discuss tooth whitening treatment options with patients.
- Demonstrate safe and effective assisting during whitening appointments.
- Provide aftercare instructions to patients undergoing whitening treatments.
Unit 3: Impression-Taking
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of using alginate.
- Understand the importance of appropriate impression tray selection.
- Describe the correct manual mixing technique using alginate.
- Describe the steps required to take an upper and lower impression.
- Describe the anatomical landmarks that should be present on the impression.
- Describe features of the ideal impression.
- Describe impression errors and how to correct them.
- Understand how to grade your impressions.
Unit 4: Supporting Practice Marketing (This is an optional unit/live zoom session)
- Discuss and plan how to supporting practice marketing
- Understand how to use social media in relation to teeth whitening
- Understand the role of patient testimonials
- Understand the importance of leveraging key moments in the year
Module 3: Standards for Patient Care
Unit 1: GDC Standards for the Dental Team
- List the nine GDC Standards.
- Explain how we can achieve the standards.
- Explain the current CPD requirements for GDC registrants.
Unit 2: Introduction to Medical Emergencies and Basic Life Support (Refresher training)
- List the emergency equipment and drugs that should be kept in the dental practice
- Know the most common signs and symptoms for certain medical emergencies
- Describe the basic treatment for each medical emergency
- Describe your role during a medical emergency situation
Unit 3: Communication Skills
- Explain the benefits of good, effective communication.
- Describe communication models.
- Explain the Shannon-Weaver communication model.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of different
- communication methods.
- Describe good communication skills.
- Explain barriers to good communication and ways to overcome them.
Tutor: Melanie Pomphrett MSc, RDH, RDN, PTLLS, PGCert Ed
Registered Dental Hygienist: 259337
Qualifications: Advanced Diploma in Dental Nursing. Foundation Degree of Science in Oral Health Science, Masters in Professional Dental Practice, Post Graduate Certificate in Education.
Assessor: Hilary Urry RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 139277
Qualifications: Foundation Degree in Advanced Dental Nursing (University of Kent), Certificate Dental Radiography (City University London), Level 3 Certificate in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Level 2 Mental Health Lead.
- Monday 5 June 2023 - Not Available
- Monday 4 September 2023 - Available
We now offer the option to pay over three months. Please be aware, this increases the fee to £165.00 inc. VAT.
Payment due dates:
- 4 September 2022 £55.00 (Non-refundable deposit)
- 4 October 2023 £55.00
- 4 November 2023 £55.00
We will NOT send reminders of payment due dates. Failure to make payment by the due dates will result in automatic removal from the course.
Please note, your certificate of competence will not be awarded until full payment is made.
Paying by payment plan? Please use enrolment form HERE.
Please note that discounts are applied to the VAT-exclusive fee: £124.17 Discounts cannot be applied to payment plans.
Multiple applicant discounts
- Two applicants: 5% discount
- Three applicants: 10% discount
- Four or more applicants: 15% discount
Multiple course discounts
- Two courses: 5% discount
- Three courses: 10% discount
- Four or more courses: 15% discount
Please apply by telephone or use the application form here. DNN will send you an invoice.
Please note, you should only request an invoice if your practice is paying for you, therefore requires an invoice.