The aim of this course is to provide training for registered dental nurses to become competent and confident in applying fluoride varnish under the prescription of a dentist or as part of a structured oral health programme.
This course is suited to registered dental nurses, hygienists, therapists and orthodontic therapists.
What the course will cover:
- Clinical patient management, patient care, standards, communication.
- Scope of practice, consent.
- Delivery of the correct knowledge, content and application of Delivering Better Oral Health, together with an explanation of the use of evidence-based statements.
- Principles of oral health education and promotion.
- History, use and benefits of fluoride.
- Clinical evidence in support of the use of fluoride varnish, particularly DoH.
- Carious process and fluoride’s role in preventing occurrence/recurrence.
- Dental anatomy in health and disease.
- Contraindications for the use of fluoride varnish and fluoride toxicity.
- Application of fluoride varnish.
- Online tutorials.
- Downloadable booklet.
- Affordable extended-duties course.
- Tutor support.
- Flexible learning.
- Nationwide availability.
- Ten hours of Verifiable CPD.
- Certificate of Competence awarded upon successful completion.
- A six-week online course which includes watching tutorials and completing multi-choice questions. Access to online tutorials expires 16 June 2020.
- Practical learning/ROC portfolio to be completed under the supervision of a dentist or suitably trained dental care professional.
- Course booklet.
- Tutor support throughout the course including email support, access to live teleclasses and webinars.
Record of competence (RoC):
You are expected to record ten log sheets, comprising five adults and five young adults and children. You have a maximum of three months to complete your RoC. You have until 3 May 2020 to send your RoC in for marking.
The RoC is now typed up, not written. Microsoft word is required OR Google Docs which is a free version similar to Microsoft Word.
The role of your supervisor/mentor:
- Your written record of competence should be completed under the supervision of a dentist, hygienist, therapist or trained dental nurse.
- They are expected to guide you through your practical training including demonstrating the procedure to you, signing off your portfolio and writing comments on your progress.
GDC Development Outcomes: A, B, C , D.
- Deliver basic oral hygiene and diet advice to parents and children.
- Demonstrate effective tooth-brushing techniques.
- Deliver basic tailored oral health instructions to children and young adults with orthodontic appliances.
- Define the main differences between gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Deliver basic smoking and alcohol cessation advice.
- Deliver basic oral health advice to adults, including specific advice for pregnant women.
- Provide denture care instructions to patients.
- Give advice to patients suffering with xerostomia.
- Adapt basic oral hygiene instructions for patients with special needs.
- Deliver advice to carers on assisted brushing.
- Confidently explain to a patient the process of caries and the possible outcomes of untreated caries.
- Have a good theoretical understanding of how fluoride helps prevent decay and be confident in explaining this to a patient.
- Be aware of supporting evidence in the use of systemic and topical fluoride in caries prevention and preventing dentine sensitivity.
- Have a good understanding of the contents of Introduction to Delivering Better Oral Health.
- Be able to explain to a patient the recommended doses of topical fluoride appropriate for the individual based on age/caries rate / influencing factors.
- Be able to demonstrate during a fluoride application appointment the ability to give supportive oral health advice regarding diet / oral hygiene regime appropriate to the patient being treated.
- Confidently explain the different topical fluoride preparations available, including varnishes/mouthwashes and toothpastes.
- Be able to confidently give advice to a patient about the appropriate product for them.
- Be able to identify any relevant medical history concerns that may prevent the use of a topical fluoride application.
- Be able to identify any contraindication to a topical fluoride application based on any systemic fluoride being taken (including being aware of local water supplies).
- Be aware of the consequences of fluoride toxicity.
- Know how to handle any form of overdose identified.
- Explain the information required in a referral/prescription from a dentist for application of a topical fluoride.
- Explain how informed consent would be obtained from a patient for the procedure (including explaining the different types of consent).
- Explain the process of fluoride application as a step-by-step guide, including any pre- and post-placement advice.
- Be confident in writing clinical notes of the appointment.
- Outline the concerns that patients may have regarding systemic and topical fluoride.
- Have an understanding of some of the clinical evidence against the use of fluoride.
- Be confident in how to manage a situation where a patient has refused consent and in how to offer possible advice on other products they may wish to use. Be able to identify any contraindications to such products.
Stephanie Carter RDT, RDH
Registered Dental Hygienist and Therapist: 119601
Qualifications: Diploma Dental Hygiene and Therapy, National Certificate Dental Nursing, Level 3 Award in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, NEBDN Certificate Dental Radiography, ILM Level 3 Award in Leadership and Management, Smoking Cessation Counselling Levels 1 and 2, Young Counsellors Certificate
Emma Leather RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 148732
Qualifications: NVQ Level 3 Dental Nursing, Level 4 National Certificate in Internal Quality Assurance, Level 3 Award in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Oral Health Education (BDA)
Competency Training: Impression-Taking, Fluoride Varnish Application
Hilary Urry RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 139277
Qualifications: Foundation Degree in Advanced Dental Nursing (University of Kent), Certificate Dental Radiography (City University London)
Competency Training: Fluoride Varnish Application
- Monday 16 March 2020 - Available
We now offer the option to pay over three months. Please be aware, this increases the fee to £120.00 inc. VAT.
Payment due dates:
- 16 March 2020 £40.00 (Non-refundable deposit)
- 16 April 2020 £40.00
- 16 May 2020 £40.00
We will NOT send reminders of payment due dates. Failure to make payment by the due dates will result in automatic removal from the course.
Please note, your certificate of competence will not be awarded until full payment is made.
Paying by payment plan? Please use enrolment form HERE.
Discounts must be requested before payment is made. We do not automatically apply discounts.
Please note that discounts are applied to the VAT-exclusive fee: £91.67. Discounts cannot be applied to payment plans.
Multiple applicant discounts
- Two applicants: 5% discount
- Three applicants: 10% discount
- Four or more applicants: 15% discount
Please apply by telephone or use the application form here. DNN will send you an invoice.