Mental state and stress

5 years 10 months ago #8729 by unflappable
Many research articles on the work stress suffered by dentists, doctors, nurses.
They also have support organisations to phone. However I have never found a single research article focusing on the work stress of dental nurses although this very real and very common.
The British Society Of Dental Nurses states it is an organisation offering support but I do not know what form this takes. (I was a member of BADN a few years back but did not find them overly supportive.)
Nobody's perfect! If you had a bad day, just say 'sorry I had a bad day today, I'm sure things will go better tomorrow'. We work as a team - they are not supposed to make you feel embarrassed if something goes wrong but to help it go right next time. One day that head nurse or dentist will make a clumsy mistake and they will appreciate you discretely pointing this out. Overall goal - taking care of every patient perfectly - not easy to achieve in a tight timeframe. Listen carefully to specific feedback. Make sure you have a good nights sleep and a solid breakfast in order to be alert.
Your consientious attitude will let you come good in the end and your dentist we will appreciate your diligence. We all learn slowly at first then speed up over time. (Reception can be a tough job ... When I'm covering desk the head receptionist often points out a mistake when I thought I had done everything perfectly.)
Maybe take your Levisons textbook to work to look up specific answers. (Internet has too much info, not all of it accurate). If it feels too difficult to ask your manager ask another nurse how she deals with a specific issue. Or ask your old course tutor.
Decline requests to do longer hours. I learned this one the hard way - I made many mistakes and had sharps injuries due to exhaustion. Once I did a 14 hour day preparing for a CQC visit the following morning. This was essential paperwork at the the end of a solid day of patients. I thought I had done everything perfectly but received a phone call early next morning informing me I had locked everyone out due to incorrectly setting the alarm. Finally sorted and we had a successful inspection. But it took me 2 years to realise they were massively taking advantage of my good nature and good work ethic and moved to another job. A 40 hour week is long enough. Many bosses assume superpowers and unlimited availability of their nurse. If your workplace is being unreasonable tell them. If the situation is not tolerable despite your best efforts, (maybe give it three months) just move on to another place.
Have some fun in the evenings/weekend so you don't just end up sitting at home thinking of work. It's just a job!You are brave enough to admit what we all feel sometimes but our workplaces are too frantically busy to broach the subject.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #8723 by Jiaoyao
Hi everyone

I'm 20 and qualified last year as a dental nurse from university and i have been at this practice roughly for 5 months. My story i wish to relay to you is that recently i have been feeling very uneasy and stressed inside and outside of work from work due to the mistakes i have been making, this due to a combination of overthinking, pressure from the headnurse to do things more efficiently and quickly which i highly understand from their perspective. There was a time where i had to reception for the whole week since i chose to work overtime despite not receiving enough training and having to ensure the practice was running smoothly since i was the only working employee except the dentist and the remaining staff were on holiday. This was the start of the uneasy and stress due to the problems that i had happened and me trying to resolve despite my role being on the reception. I know i'm inexperienced as a dental nurse in comparison to others who have many years of experience. I understand stress is part of the job and in any type of job and i don't want to seem like i'm complaining about my current situation but just trying to voice it out to the community.

Any comments or advice i would highly appreciate it and thank you for taking your own time out to read this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New