RETURNING TO DENTAL NURSING

14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #83 by Janus
If you're looking for indemnity insurance, the BADN include it with the fee for their membership (along with other things), and unlike the retention fee you have to pay to the GDC which doesn't vary on whether or not you're part time or full time, the BADN have different prices depending how many hours you work.

(but have just checked their webiste and the indemnity only applies to full membership)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 3 weeks ago #73 by shazza
HI
Firstly you need to be GDC registered at a cost of 96 quid a year.
You are now responsible for your own actions and if a patient decides to do so they can sue you! So you do require some insurance against this. You can be covered by your dentist on their insurance. Jury out on that one, we have been advised by certain people this is not acceptable and you must take out your own. Yet other people have told us it's fine for your dentist to cover you.??!
Then comes the CPD.
150 hours over a five year period... 50 hours verifiable and 100 hours non verifiable. Your verifiable hours should include so many hours in cross infection control and medical emergencies.

It depends when in the year you register as to when your cpd cycle starts.( me and one of my work mates registered slightly later than the rest of the girls and our 5 year cycle started a full year after theirs.) so i would advise anyone registering to wait for the gdc to tell you when it will start before doing loads of cpd as it might not count!!
Speaking from experience on that one!!
:S

14 years 3 weeks ago #53 by Vms118
I have just spent 40 mintues typing a lovely long winded, exacting and detailed answer to your question. Upon pressing post, the website that I am now not so impressed with informaed me that the forum was only available to logged in registered users...omg...breathe...(I had been logged in for about an 30 minutes btw) so alas I am not doing it again, sorry. BUt I'd say ALL the info you need is here -

www.gdc-uk.org/

The things you essentialy need to know are -

Indemnity

CPD

Registration

and I would check out the impacts of HTM 01 -05 on working practices because as far as I am concerned, in dentistry, the s**t is about to hit the fan.

Sorry I couldnt be any more use twice. :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

14 years 3 weeks ago #46 by stressedok
Hi, I have worked as a dental nurse and a practice coordinator for 20 years. I left to care for my children and I am considering returning to dental nursing possible later in the year or early next year. Since I left, everything has changed. What with registration etc. Can anyone explain what is now required and any changes or requirement I need to be aware of before return? Any advice would be useful.
thank you for your time.
stressedok :)

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New