Emergency Weekend and Public Holidays Cover?

13 years 11 months ago #301 by Vms118
Not many biters on this topic eh?

Thanks for the ACAS link, brings a lot of information into one place. HOwever if you read it carefully and other sources you'll find that have annual leave, time of in leiu or extra pay or not lawful requirements - they may be string industry standard though. In fact, your employers having given you enough notice can make you use your annual leave for bank holidays...scary.
BUt I am happy you agree with the fact that if i am on call I am on the bosses time - which is so true. The only problem I have had is so many nurses report different pay. I have had answers of £50 for a weekend and £250.00 a weekend - wether called out or not. Confusing.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #244 by mela82
whatever industry one works in, if you work a bank holiday you should either be paid double or be given a paid day off in lieu. with regards to emergency weekends, if the practice you work in is actually open on the weekend but staff are rotored it should still be classed as a normal paid day. If you are working a weekend but have not actually been called out due to no emergencies, you should still be paid or given a day off in lieu. The fact u have given up a day to be available for an emergency means that u are giving your time and therefore should be compensated.
check out ACAS online It is not specific to dentistry but it manages work issues that include all industries.
Some dentists closed their practices over the x mas hols and ask that u save your holiday for thesse times. This is not a law. If you wish to use your holiday entitlement throughout the year, you do not need to save them for when the practice closes it just helps dentists save money as when u r on holiday they do not need to hire a temp as the practice is closed. Saying this just be advised, if you have no holiday left by the time xmas comes then u will not be paid when the practice is closed.
If you do happen to work over christmas, if it happens to be a bank holiday then again the same applies, you are either paid double, or you get time off in lieu.
i hope this helps a bt at least, but google acas and have a read.

14 years 3 hours ago #237 by shazza
I must work in a fab practice cos we work a 34 hour week and thats it! I have never been expected to be on call. The dentists in our area go on an on call rota. The sessions are held at a local health care centre and they have a rota of nurses from community who get paid to do the sessions. Think its bad that practices expect nurses to work a full week then expect them to be on cal,l especially on annual leave days.We may be classed as proffesionals but certainly don't earn the wage to match the title!!!

14 years 8 hours ago #236 by Vms118
If anyone would be so kind, I am looking for some opinions/advice on the above topic :cheer:

Ok, when a DN is on emergency call out duty, be it becuase it is a bank holiday, the practice is closed over the xmas period or it is the practices turn to cover a weekend (if your part of a local rota) - how does pay work at other practices?

Should a DN be payed for being on call (even if no call out is made)?

Should a DN be payed extra or base rate pay for being on call?

Should a DN (in the case of the closed for xmas example) be given extra pay or annual leave days if they are on call on a day that is annual leave i.e. the days in between annual leave days used, bank days and weekends. In other words if all the other team members use 4 days of annual leave over an xmas break but one DN is on call for a period that includes two of those 4 annual leave days, should they still have to count them as annual leave or should they still get paid for that day and/or be given back two days for use throughout the rest of that year?

This is something that seems to vary, my limited research in person at CPD meets etc have had varying answers. Some report getting a lump some of X pounds for a weekend on call as you are technically on work time, some report just getting paid if they are called out...an interesting subject I think.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New