Dental Nurse Network's Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is created by a network of dental nurses and other dental care professionals dedicated to professional growth for dental nurses. Our writers hold relevant qualifications including nationally recognised lifelong learning (CPD) teaching qualifications.
CPD requirements are set out in Law. The GDC require that DCP's complete 50 hours of Verifiable CPD every five-year cycle. Click here for GDC guidance.
- This CPD Subscription includes 10 hours of Verifiable CPD.
- You will gain instant access upon purchase.
- Why not try our free verifiable CPD? Please login and you will see the link under my courses and certificates.
- We do not auto-renew payments, to subscribe the following year you will need to sign-up again.
- Dental Nurse Network Certificates are accepted by the General Dental Council.
- Payments can be made online or by telephone (call 020 7193 0584).
- Suitable for: dental nurses, dental hygienists, dental therapists, orthodontic therapists, clinical dental technicians.
10 hours of Verifiable CPD:
- Medical Emergencies – 2 hours of verifiable CPD
- Radiography and Radiation Protection – 1 hours of verifiable CPD
- Disinfection and Decontamination/Infection Control – 2.5 hours of verifiable CPD
Includes spotting fake masks and infection control during covid
- Legal and Ethical Issues – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Complaints Handling – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Oral Cancer – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Safeguarding Children, Young Adults and Vulnerable Adults – 1 hour of verifiable CPD
- Mental Capacity Act - 30 minutes of verifiable CPD
Development Outcomes: C
- Understand the training requirements of a dental care professional in medical emergency management.
- Know the minimum required emergency drugs and equipment that must be available in dental practices.
- Be able to competently recognise and respond to the most likely medical emergencies that may occur within a dental practice, based on current good practice guidelines.
- Be able to explain how you would carry out Basic Life Support (BLS), based on current good practice guidelines.
- Describe how to put a patient into the recovery position
- Describe how to carry out chest compressions on an adult patient
- Describe how to carry out rescue breaths on an adult patient
- Discuss how to use an AED
Radiography and Radiation Protection
Development Outcomes: C
- Describe the term ‘radiation protection’
- Discuss the advantages of digital x-ray technology
- Define the purpose of the Ionising Radiation Regulations 1999 and the Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations
- Describe x-ray grading and quality assurance measures
Disinfection and Decontamination/Infection Control
Development Outcomes: C, D
- Be able to define the term pathogen and explain the chain of infection
- Be able to explain the concerns surrounding the transmission of Covid-19 in the dental surgery in order to understand the current recommendations for PPE
- Be able to explain the current recommendations for different levels of PPE in the dental setting dependent on dental procedures being carried out
- Be able to explain the markings that you should expect to see on genuine respirators
- Be able to explain the information that should be contained in an EU certificate and Declaration of Conformity (DoC)
- Discuss what is meant by instrument disinfection
- Describe the instrument disinfection process
- Discuss what requirements must be met by dental practices in respect to instrument disinfection
- List the types of sterilisers used in dentistry
Legal and Ethical Issues
Development Outcomes: D
- Help the reader to understand what the duty of candour is;
- Explore why the duty of candour is now a statutory requirement;
- Discuss new General Dental Council (GDC) guidance on being open and honest;
- Explain Care Quality Commission (CQC) requirements within the new Regulation 20;
- Consider National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) advice for formulating a practice policy.
Development Outcomes: A, D
- To consider the importance of having an effective complaints procedure within the dental practice that complies with the General Dental Council (GDC) Standards document.
- To discuss how having a good complaints procedure benefits both the patient and the dental practice, and to consider how not having a structured complaints system can have a negative impact on the practice.
- To look at ways in which practices can meet the GDC Standards for handling complaints, with reference to the complaints code of practice we use in my own dental practice.
- To consider how to avoid complaints in the first place and, if a complaint does occur, how to behave when interacting with the patient in order to help defuse and hopefully resolve the situation.
Development Outcomes: C
- Explore how and why oral cancer is escalating
- Discuss a genuine team approach to the early detection of oral cancer in general practice
- Equip the whole team with ideas for implementing best practice standards for the management of oral cancer
- Look at the benefits of implementing a robust oral cancer management system in your practice
- Consider the take-home message
Safeguarding Children, Young Adults and Vulnerable Adults
Development Outcomes: A
- Briefly describe the most common types of abuse and the possible indicators to look out for.
- List the agencies responsible for the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- Outline the actions to take if you have concerns about a child, young person or adult.
- List the roles and responsibilities of the dental team regarding safeguarding.
Mental Capacity Act
Development Outcomes: A
- To understand the Mental Capacity Act and its purpose in healthcare.
- To be able to describe the assessment criteria associated with the Mental Capacity Act.
- To gain knowledge of the organisations involved in protecting individuals who lack capacity.
- To understand what is meant by ‘deprivation of liberty’ and the safeguards in place to prevent it.
Why not try our free verifiable CPD? Please login and you will see the link under my courses and certificates.
Step 1: Read information
Step 2: Complete quiz questions
- Unlimited attempts
- 80% pass required
Step 3: Answer reflective questions
Step 4:Give us feedback
Step 5: Download certificate
Why users love our CPD:
- Excellent support team Monday–Friday
- User-friendly CPD software – easy to use and follow
- Mobile friendly CPD software
- Unlimited attempts to pass
- Record of your CPD activity accessible anytime you log in
- Certificates accessible anytime you log in
- CPD courses accessible from any device that has access to the internet
- Dental Nurse Network Certificates are accepted by the General Dental Council
How we meet CPD guidelines:
Dental Nurse Network Certificates are accepted by the General Dental Council
All CPD material meets the GDC guidelines for verifiable CPD activity, including:
- clear learning outcomes
- concise educational aims and objectives
- clear anticipated outcomes
- content meets GDC Standards
- quality controls
Online Verifiable Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Courses: Terms and Conditions
1) The course, course material and resources will be available from the start date specified in the course information once enrolment and payment have been processed. All course due dates and end dates are specified in the course information. After the course end date, access to information and resources for the course will no longer be available.
2) To extend your subscription to Online Verifiable CPD courses, the following are available:
a) A one (1)-month subscription extension at the cost of 20% of your subscription fee.
b) A three (3)-month subscription extension at the cost of 50% of your subscription fee.
3) If you wish to unenrol for any reason, the following policies apply at the discretion of Dental Nurse Network:
a) Within the first 30 days of enrolment, if you have completed one hour of verifiable CPD (one topic) or less, a full refund of fees will be granted.
b) If you have been enrolled for 31 days or longer, regardless of the number of CPD hours completed, no refund of any fees will be granted.