Help!

4 years 10 months ago #8944 by unflappable
And it doesn't have to be a dead end position, check out what Fiona Ellwood has been over the course of her career
It's an overused phrase but there really is an inspirational woman!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #8943 by unflappable
A single dentist running a surgery has the problem of many 'key roles' some of which are not supposed to be allocated to the same person
Are you still there?
Are you still learning and doing management tasks?
Do you still have the dental nurse job title and salary?
If you think your dentist is just taking advantage of you maybe check out the cqc website on the process of becoming the registered manager
If feeling brave enough ask to become registered manager-your boss may be very happy to let you get on with this role so they can focus on doing teeth
If he/she says no, never mind,with all the extra skills you learned you can apply for a better job
or did you become a paramedic?

6 years 9 months ago #8387 by SmilingDCP
Hello!

Sorry to hear about your current position and that it has put you off nursing!

Its quite normal to help with training of trainee nurses once you're qualified, and actually its better that you are involved in this as you are in a better position to make sure he/she is carrying out all the infection control procedures etc in the same way as you. Remember, if he/she makes a mistake, they are training, but as you are qualified, it is you responsibility to protect your registration.

Have you approached your dentist about how you feel regarding the responsibility of 'acting practice manager'? Check your contract. While its useful to have an understanding of admin, it is a separate role, and if you are not happy to carry out the extra work, discuss options with your employer. Worst case scenario is he doesn't make any changes and you move on to work at a practice you are happy with.

Dental nursing is not a dead end job at all. There are additional skills that you can build on such as Oral Health Promotion, Fluoride Varnish application, sedation nursing etc
Practice management is a path that some nurses go on to pursue if interested.

I have gone on to study dental hygiene and am loving it!

Try not to let one bad experience ruin it for you.

If becoming a paramedic is your dream, you could study an access course for that via distance learning while you are working. Then once you are ready, you can apply for that. You are still young and the world is your oyster.

Hope that helps :)

6 years 9 months ago #8386 by NursieP
firstly I'd like to say hi to everyone as I am a new poster.
I'm really looking for some guidance and advice.
I have just recently qualified as a nurse and already feel in a dead end position. I feel like I want to do something else, wether it's dental related or not.
I'm currently in a one dentist practice and already have responsibility of a trainee dental nurse to train and been given the role as 'acting practice manager' with no relevant management qualifications and no management pay rise to go along with it.
It's a very unorganised practice and I don't like it, I have previously worked as a trainee in a well established practice so can see a huge difference!
So my question really is, what are my options now using my dental nursing qualification?
Or can I use it to perhaps take a different path onto something different?
I'm also qualified in health and social care! I just have no idea what to do!
I'm 22 years old and cannot stand the thought of being a dental nurse the rest of my life sadly.
My dream is to become a paramedic however it's way out of reach at this moment in time!

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New