Juggling motherhood and Denatl nursing

9 years 6 months ago #6418 by Trish1
Hi Sarah, congratulations on your baby girl, I have a 21 month old boy, funny you said you left when you were pregnant, I had to as well when I was 4 months pregnant. (I won't get into that now, I've put it past me, such is life) anyhow I was off with my son for a year and 3 months. I am now working part time as a customer service manager. I haven't been able to get back into nursing as you know 9-6 really means 830-630 plus travel in and out of work. It has left me a bit worried as to whether I can actually go back to nursing because my sons nursery is open 730-6pm. Unless I find something very local or hospital work where they can offer flexibility. Best to keep up with your registration and CPD like you said then when you are ready to go back start looking for something accommodating..
X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #6417 by helen85
hi, I have 2 boys, one is 5 and at school, my youngest is 1. I only work one morning a week at the moment. after I had my 1st child, I went back to work 2 days a week, and I then decided to leave nursing, but after I had 2nd child I wanted to get back into it. I sent off my cv to practices around my area, explaining I was after part time hours etc. I found this was worth doing as I got the hours I wanted, although its only 1 morning a week at the moment I will be able to increase when possible, plus I am available to cover for them etc. So maybe when the time comes around for you to return send off your cv with a covering letter explaining what your after.
I had a look around a couple of nurserys also in my area, and some of them do earlier starts and/or later finishes. it all fitted into place in the end.

Good luck

xx

9 years 7 months ago #6411 by sarahb91
Hiya, Thank you for the reply and advice.

Like you said I would love to have at least the first 3 years of my baby girls life at home, watching her grow up but money wise it just isn't possible. I would like to do what you are doing a part time job so you can still carry on your career and independence but then not miss out on time with your children. I really just need to find a job that I can start at in April time and do either mornings or afternoons. I don't want my girl to be stuck in nursery at 9 months old all day long if you know what I mean.

I am keeping up with my CPD online whilst on maternity so at least I am keeping up with the recommendations.

Thanks Again

Sarah x

9 years 7 months ago #6407 by HRussell
Congratulations Sarah :)

I'm a mum of 2. I have a 4 year old boy and a 21 month old girl.
The question I asked myself when I became a mum was what is most important to me? Naturally, I said my family.
I wanted to work but also wanted time with my family.

I had stopped being a clinical nurse about a year before I had my boy as I wanted to go in a different direction with my experience. I had always worked full time. Initially, I had no choice but to carry on working full time and to travel quite a distance. It was very difficult as I didn't get to see him much but I got through it.
Unfortunately, I was then made redundant and was a full time mum for nearly 3 years.

I really cherished that time even though it was very tough and watching every penny spent. This year I was offered a part time job and it works really well.
I have a very good employer/manager. I get to do school runs and spend time with both my children. Any problems at home/with the kids and they are very understanding.

Things couldn't have worked out better to be honest.

All you can do is look to see what nursing jobs are out there and if it's right for you. You never know you may be surprised.
Or there is always the option of maybe going off in a different direction.
You have to see what's going to be best for you and your family and what you would be happy doing.

I wish you lots of luck and enjoy every moment with your baby girl, those times are priceless :)

9 years 7 months ago #6406 by sarahb91
Hi, I have recently became a new mummy to a beautiful baby girl who is 6 weeks old today.
I will be returning to work hopefully in April, I haven't got a job to go back too I left my old place when I was 14 weeks pregnant for numerous reasons. Just wondered if there are any more mummy's out there and how do you juggle working and getting to the nursery/school, is there many practices out there willing to take on mums knowing I will be part time. I am a qualified nurse and in all my experiences if dental nursing they always want long shifts and late finishes.

Thank you

sarah :)

Moderators: DNN

Dental management level 3

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New