Dental notes

6 years 5 months ago #8493 by SmilingDCP
I've never had to write up detailed notes before but I would interpret while at the computer and then the dentist would check, add and amend at the end of the appointment, and the dentist i used to work with was happy with that. I recently started working at another practice and I'm with the principal dentist who insists on his nurse writing up the notes 'his way', I have to use the templates, he then dictates, but he's really weird about abbreviations...he has his own which I'm expected to know...and if by mistake i write the full word (which I don't think is a problem ever), he will make me delete it and type the abbreviation, then tells me I'm adding time to the appointment...I'm a fast typist, so I find this very frustrating. At the end of the appointment when I'm cleaning down and setting up for the next patient, he calls me over and makes me watch him correct any mistakes, and then when I'm not ready for the next patient, he has a go and tells me i need to be faster. Really frustrating, especially if I have to get ready for a crown prep! I got so fed up the other day that I literally turned around to him and said that seeing as it is his responsibility, he should very well be checking the notes thoroughly!

Fortunately, we have a brilliant practice manager who is really supportive and is helping me overcome these 'hurdles'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #8464 by LNurse96
I work with a few dentists in the week and some like to do their own notes, others like me to write them up. We go by templates for everything e.g. exam, filling, RCT, XLA. So I just copy/paste the template in and fill out the blanks. If i’m not sure about anything i’ll just ask once the patient has left surgery, or if it’s a real complicated case I’ll get the dentist to write his own notes up. I personally really enjoy writing notes up :)

6 years 10 months ago #8314 by Kelly_Wcampbell
It's better to take notes of important thing otherwise very difficult to remember.

6 years 11 months ago #8281 by walice004
i will not do that ... is a dentist job write notes not nurse... just point things if needed

7 years 2 weeks ago #8253 by lyudmyla
My dentist doesn't do computer notes , but I have to write all notes in pt folder and then they just sign.

7 years 10 months ago #7693 by Teesey
Hi Ideanumber25

To be honest, the only way round this one is to have the dentist dictate to you if that is what they want, the problem nurses have is if you are typing in notes off your own back then you could be liable if a patient reports a situation within surgery and the notes are used.
I tend to agree with Vibebl, we do have enough to do, the dentist could be typing up whilst the nurse is cleaning down etc.
I do start typing in myself at my practice and then the dentist will amend or add to my write up

7 years 11 months ago #7687 by Figueiredo
Hi Ideanumber25,

I don't do notes for dentists is them job to do that.
We nurses should note do them, i can write something if they need on the moment to not forget, Perio and something more, but not all notes for them.
We don't get paid like them also. We nurses (decon, get ready for treatments, clean down everything) should be happy to do them but need more 3£/hour on top, if not someday dentist will do nothing in work and continue get payed 7k-12K.
If they want notes done, we can do and they clean down surgery and prepare for next patient.

:P

7 years 11 months ago #7685 by Ideanumber25
Hi all, I've just started to work with a dentist who doesn't write his own notes on the computer . Whilst I don't have a problem with this I've never encountered a dentist who doesn't.
Most dentists I've worked with will either get me to start the notes and they'll finish up and add to them or they'll be clear that they want to do all the notes.
Just wondering how many other nurses have this as well and somehow find the time to ready the treatment room for the next patient :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figueiredo

Moderators: DNN

Dental management level 3

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New