Hundreds of nurses have trained in impression-taking with Dental Nurse Network. The advanced impression-taking course is suited to registered dental nurses who aspire to treat patients directly and to take impressions under the prescription of a registered dentist or clinical dental technician. The course is suited to nurses working both in private settings and in the National Health Service.
You will learn how to take alginate, silicone and bite impressions for the following applications:
- Study models;
- Orthodontic appliances;
- Bleaching trays;
- Mouth guards;
- Inman Aligner;
- Six Month Smiles.
Can dental nurses take impressions using a variety of impression materials? Please refer to question 1 on the GDC website HERE.
The course includes:
- A one-day workshop;
- An impression-taking booklet;
- A Record of Competence (ROC) portfolio to be completed under supervision.
Record of Competence (ROC) portfolio:
- You are expected to complete a minimum of 20 alginate impressions, 10 silicone impressions and 6 bite impressions.
- We do not specify patient groups. i.e children, adults.
- You have a maximum of six months to complete your Record of Competence.
The role of the supervisor:
Your supervisor should be:
- Qualiﬁed/trained in impression-taking;
- Willing to guide you through your practical training;
- Able to comment on and sign your portfolio.
- Practical hands-on training.
- Complete part of your record of competence on the day of training.
- Course booklet.
- Nationwide availability.
- Ten hours of Verifiable CPD.
- Certificate of Competence awarded upon successful completion.
- Describe patient care and communication throughoutprocedure.
- Demonstrate knowledge of GDC Standards.
- Describe health & safety aspects of impression-taking.
- Demonstrate knowledge of impression materials.
- Demonstrate correct tray selection.
- Discuss methods for managing anxious patients.
- Describe anatomical features that should be present on a dental impression.
- Demonstrate confidence to take impressions.
- Demonstrateabilityto grade, reflect upon impressions and improve impression-taking technique.
Record of Competence:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the reflective model.
- Demonstrate consistent improvement throughout course.
- Demonstrate competency to take impressions unsupervised under the prescription of a dentist.
Yvonne Ward RDN, Dip Orth. Therapy
Registered Orthodontic Therapist: 195285
Qualifications: Dip Orth. Therapy, National Certificate Dental Nursing, Level 4 Award Teaching, Dental Radiography (BDA)
Competency Training: Impression-Taking, Dental Photography, Plaque Indices, Shade-taking, Pouring and casting models, Fabricating retainers and whitening trays
Rachel Hughes RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 156989
Qualifications: National Certificate Dental Nursing, Level 4 Award Teaching, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Oral Health Education (BDA), Dental Radiography (BDA)
Competency Training: Impression-Taking
Emma Leather RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 148732
Qualifications: NVQ Level 3 Dental Nursing, Level 3 Award in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Oral Health Education (BDA)
Competency Training: Impression-Taking, Fluoride Varnish Application
Saturday 27th June 2020 Ricoh Arena* Coventry Directions - Available.
* Free parking available.
Discounts must be requested before payment is made. We do not automatically apply discounts.
Please note that discounts are applied to the VAT-exclusive fee: £166.67.
Multiple applicant discounts
- Two applicants: 5% discount
- Three applicants: 10% discount
- Four or more applicants: 15% discount
Please apply by telephone or use the print application form here. DNN will send you an invoice.
Henry Schein customers
Henry Schein customers can claim an additional 10% off.
Please enrol by telephone and quote your Henry Schein account number or use the print application form here. DNN will send you an invoice.