In the United Kingdom there are altogether 102429 registered dentists and dental care professionals.
Of this figure there are 50822 dental nurses. The highest number of dental nurses are registered in England, totaled at 40453.
There are 50253 female dental nurses and 569 male dental nurses.
Other registration types include:
- Dental Therapists, 2098 registered.
- Dental Hygienists, 6268 registered.
- Dental Technicians, 6699 registered.
- Orthodontic Therapists, 298 registered.
- Registrants are also registered by specialty. These include:
- Dental and Maxillofacial Radiography, 24 registered.
- Dental Public Health, 112 registered.
- Endodontics, 247 registered.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 31 registered.
- Oral Medicine, 73 registered.
- Oral Microbiology, 7 registered.
- Oral Surgery, 743 registered.
- Orthodontics, 1326 registered.
- Paediatric Dentistry, 243 registered.
- Periodontics, 326 registered.
- Prosthodontics, 428 registered.
- Restorative Dentistry, 308 registered.
- Special Care Dentistry, 321 registered.
The figures which reflect the number of registered dental and dental care professionals by speciality, shows that there is room for more professionals to develop their careers with specialty skills.
These figures are sourced from the GDC - Click here.