Anyone trying to get into dentistry?

12 years 5 months ago #1856 by Vms118
Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone else heard that Dental therapy is nolonger funded by PCT's and you have to pay £9000 per annum to do the course?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #775 by Vms118
In my experience, DN experience counts for a lot once you have met the minimum entry requirements. This is also a symptom of advertising courses through UCAS, an admissions tutor once explained to me that using UCAS to accept candidates can make things harder, as if the online application does not meet the minimum requirements it is automatically rejected.

I believe it is important to know the candidates can cope with the level of work as it is pretty hard core and they run the risk of wasting a lot of PCT funding by having nurses who drop out, but at the same time a little recognition would be nice. Maybe an entry exam for those who do not have the academia?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #774 by Vms118
@ Piggy - RE: My post on first page -

Re:Anyone trying to get into dentistry? 1 Month ago Karma: 5
Again, good for you! being stubborn definately has its perks.

As for the Access higher education it's a difficult one really. I recently identified two courses I would like/need. Same HE access as you and human biology a level. I then emailed every dental school in the country asking, with my current qualifications which you value the most/prefer of the two? (as I can only afford one and have time for one on top of my 48 hours a week job)
Some of them answered in favour of the access course but most would prefer the A level. I think this is simply due to the A level having a much firmer history and foundation is english education systems - which is unfair really. I would not even bother applying to birmingham with it, my response from them was a request for me to call the admissions tutor to discuss it over the phone. Upon speaking to her she informed me that the A level was a much better choice, in fact she then told me that they do not accept the access HE at all( as in they give it zero credit). Which is so unfair (and snobby) and apparently a careers advisor informed me is a form of discrimination, as the course is designed to be what is says - a route for access to higher education.

So after all my research I am going to do the Human Biology, but this is an hours drive from my house once a week after work - ergh - but you can but try! so drive I will!

What are you thinking of doing in the meantime education wise? have you signed on to another course to go towards your next ucas application?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #769 by haighs
I had the same thing happen to me I rang Birmingham and some of the London dental schools, I was told that to even be considered for an interview the A levels need to be at least a B but by next year they may all be changing to A's its so frustrating. Im in the same situation as yourself Im a qualified nurse I have my Radiography Cert and Im currently doing my OHE course. They said this counts for nothing. I think its so wrong, do they not realise experience is better than qualifications. AAAArrrrgggghhhhh.

13 years 8 months ago #768 by Piggy
I called Cardiff Uni thursday to ask about entry requirements for hygiene and was told that basically experience counts for nothing you have to have the academics. He advised me to retake my GCSE english to get a B grade, i have C grade and to take A level Biology. I told him i have my nursing qualification and was thinking of doing the certificate in Radiography and OHE of which he didnt know what i was talking about. Would be interested to know of others experience of applying for dental hygiene, qualifications etc

13 years 8 months ago #742 by haighs
Oh right thats good then, well ill hopefully get on the course and if so ill see you then. It should be good as let face it we should know most of the stuff anyway so hopefully will be fine.

13 years 8 months ago #741 by Vms118
I'm in Worcestershire myself, it looks like we are pretty much equal distances from the college but I'm west midlands and your east. I'm pretty excited now.

:)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #740 by haighs
Oh right excellent that will be good then least i will know someone then, where abouts do you live then, im nortamptonshire area.

13 years 8 months ago #739 by Vms118
Well, if you end up taking it on you'll easily be able to keep me updated - i'll be in the lectures with you lol

:silly:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #737 by haighs
Im just waiting on the course informtaion and starter pack to arrive then hopefully will start in september just a bit worried that im takin too much on at once as im currently doing my OHE course but that will finish in nov so hopefully will be ok, Thanks for all the information and help.

Ill keep you updating :)

13 years 8 months ago #735 by Vms118
Haighs - how'd you get on with that As Level human Biology in Solihull. Decide to go ahead and do it or not?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 8 months ago #728 by haighs
Oh thats good then i will have to apply there as I have my NVQ in dental nursing Radiography cert and im currently taking my OHE course at the minute so fingers crossed i might get accepted there. It is quite far away but its worth it if I can get a place.

Thanks for the help/Info
Ill be more than grateful of any hints/tips how she got in aswell :)

13 years 8 months ago #723 by Rebecca
@ Haighs i know a girl who only has the national and applied to cardiff for hygeine and is starting in september... you should just chance your arm and see...! Worked for her! :P

13 years 9 months ago #645 by Vms118
No problemo.

B)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #643 by haighs
Thanks for all the information, I live in Northamptonshire.

13 years 9 months ago #641 by Vms118
You'll find details here -

www.solihull.ac.uk/

They seem pretty good so far. Hopefully the education and support is as good. What area are you in? In or around Worcestershire at all?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #637 by haighs
Oh right that sounds good that only about 45 minute drive from where I live could you send me the information please.

Thanks

13 years 9 months ago #634 by Vms118
The one I have chosen is in birmingham, 1 night a week.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #631 by haighs
Thats brilliant thanks for the information, Im wanting to do A level in biology to hopefully get accepted to do hygiene and therapy.

13 years 9 months ago #630 by Kasia
It was in Clapham, London. But it was a full time course 3 days a week. But i think you can do part time Biology a-level online or distance learning. Check awarding bodies websites which colleges take external candidates.

13 years 9 months ago #629 by haighs
Hi I was just wondering hwere you are attending the Part time A level Biology course as there seems to be no courses in my area.
Thanks

13 years 9 months ago #622 by Vms118
Cool, thanks for that - I shall take a look at some point.
:cheer:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #620 by Kasia
Depends what exeperience you have but they do not require a-levels.
Anyway if you want to have look that's the link. it really depends on your work experience rather than academic stuff.

www.pms.ac.uk/dentistry.php

13 years 9 months ago #619 by Vms118
Oh right. My information must be out of date, what else do they require other than the gamstat? AAB with two science?

I think I could do without my family for 3 years :P

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #618 by Kasia
Gamsat is their requirement to get into the school because is only for graduates and DCPs and I'm not going to Australia: I still would like to see my family more often than every 3 years :)

13 years 9 months ago #617 by Vms118
Oooh, the new Exeter place. They look like they have invested pretty well in their new equipment. So do I have this right, your going to do the gamstat, hope you pass it and then say to them - "Look I passed this australian medical student exam, surely that shows I have potential" or are you going to try your luck in Australia?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #616 by Kasia
peninsula is a new dental school in plymouth/exeter and gamsat is a graduate australian medical schools admissions testwhich you have to pass to get in, but you dont have to be a graduate to take it

13 years 9 months ago #613 by Vms118
What is peninsula and gamsat then?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #612 by Kasia
Lol, thats really harsh. I checked unis' websites and actualy only 6 out of 13 accept access course. So I decided not to do any more courses just focus on my career progress and to apply to Peninsula and sit gamsat :/ And work for NHS (I consider this as charity bit) and make some connections. And will see :)

13 years 9 months ago #610 by Vms118
Again, good for you! being stubborn definately has its perks.

As for the Access higher education it's a difficult one really. I recently identified two courses I would like/need. Same HE access as you and human biology a level. I then emailed every dental school in the country asking, with my current qualifications which you value the most/prefer of the two? (as I can only afford one and have time for one on top of my 48 hours a week job)
Some of them answered in favour of the access course but most would prefer the A level. I think this is simply due to the A level having a much firmer history and foundation is english education systems - which is unfair really. I would not even bother applying to birmingham with it, my response from them was a request for me to call the admissions tutor to discuss it over the phone. Upon speaking to her she informed me that the A level was a much better choice, in fact she then told me that they do not accept the access HE at all( as in they give it zero credit). Which is so unfair (and snobby) and apparently a careers advisor informed me is a form of discrimination, as the course is designed to be what is says - a route for access to higher education.

So after all my research I am going to do the Human Biology, but this is an hours drive from my house once a week after work - ergh - but you can but try! so drive I will! :cheer:

What are you thinking of doing in the meantime education wise? have you signed on to another course to go towards your next ucas application?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #607 by Kasia
It was one year access course which suppose to be an a-level equivalent and I've done all sciences: bio, chem, physics and maths plus some essay writing and it.

13 years 9 months ago #606 by Vms118
Good for you! Polish lit sounds pretty cool, which texts did you study? Do you mean you passed the HE access bio or you are doing it now?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #605 by Kasia
Hey,

I've done Polish lit, English and History as A-levels, but last year I left my full time job and went to college to do access to he (bio sciences and medicine). Still didn't get in :/ But I'm stubborn and trying again :)

13 years 9 months ago #604 by Vms118
I would love too but my A levels are Literature, Psychology and History! absolutely ZERO science in there (minus the social science of psychology mind) and I'm one of these "couldnt afford to leave my job" types. Boo Hoo me lol

I'm slowly doing evening classes though to build up my options :)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 9 months ago #602 by Kasia
Hi to all nurses!

I was wondering if anyone thought about becoming a dentist. Was anyone lucky? Anyone tried? Anyone starting this autumn? So I invite all the brave ones to chat as we all know much more about dentistry than those school-leavers with AAAs ;)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New