CPD & GDC
22 Mar 2010
Dental Nurse CPD
Since August 2008 Continuing professional development or CPD became compulsory for dental nurses.
It is a legal requirement designed to keep skills and knowledge up- to- date for the benefit of patients.
The General Dental Council (GDC) register qualified professionals. The GDC aim to protect patients, promote confidence in dental professionals and be at the forefront of healthcare regulation.
FACTS ABOUT CPD for dental nurses:
Dental Nurse CPD includes the following:
The CPD should advance his/her professional development as a dental professional.
* A minimum of 150 hours needs to be done over a 5 year cycle(known as a CPD cycle)
- A minimum of 50 these must be verifiable CPD
- A minimum of 100 of these must be non- verifiable CPD
What is verifiable?
- You must get a certificate or documentary proof from the provider of participation
- You should state the number of hours the activity took
The CPD activity needs to include the following:
- Clear purpose/aim
- Details of what you should expect to gain
- You should have the chance to give feedback, with a view to improving quality.
Non- Verifiable/ General CPD
If the activity you are doing does not follow the guidelines for verifiable CPD but is still keeping your knowledge and skills up to date it can count towards your non-verifiable.
COMPULSORY STUDY for verifiable study:
- MEDICAL EMERGENCIES- At least 10 hours in every CPD cycle- done yearly.
- DISINFECTION & DECONTAMINATION - At least 5 hours in every CPD cycle
- RADIOGRAPHY AND RADIATION PROTECTION- At least 5 hours in every CPD cycle
The GDC also recommend:
Verifiable or general CPD covering legal & ethical issues and handling complaints.
The GDC will check up on you regularly and at the end of the 5 year cycle they will send you a form to fill in as required by law.